Our Client based in Farnborough are looking for a Purchasing Manager on a permanent basis, our client have 4 Manufacturing plants worldwide along with R&D and repair capabilities. Their world renowned expertise, place them at the forefront of suppliers. They have approximately 200 employees in their UK facility which is heavily focused on Design and manufacture.
This role requires an experienced purchasing manager who is capable of managing a team in a dynamic and pressurised manufacturing environment.
The primary focus of the role is driving improvement and delivering to the company’s objectives of operational excellence. This person will directly manage a team and provide support and guidance to the separately managed Logistics Team who is responsible for the day to day operational procurement tasks.
Suppliers are measured on their performance to OTIF by the Logistics team and managed to improve their performance. The role of the Strategic Purchasing team is to ensure that the right suppliers are selected and maintained in the approved supplier list whilst ensuring achievement of the financial objectives for the business.
The team are key in selecting suppliers and delivery of parts for the NPI & innovation as well as potential switching during the product lifecycle. The company is a Tier 1 supplier to major aircraft manufacturers worldwide and is a design make supplier as well as being responsible for management of some other design make suppliers in a tiered supply chain context. You will be responsible for the management of a variety of supplier’s size and complexity within this fast paced supply chain.
· Managing all direct reports, allocating work and checking that duties are carried out satisfactorily.
· Setting business derived objectives for department staff and annually appraising their performance against them.
· Leading and developing staff in line with the objectives and performance requirements.
· Ensure the relationships with suppliers are managed to motivate them to deliver beyond their contractual requirements.
· Working within a matrix environment ensuring that you build relationships with the other managers and teams within the organisation.
· Define, manage and maintain effective purchasing business processes which ensure the supply base delivers to the best available quality, price and delivery performance.
· Providing guidance to ensure that the Operating Unit understands and complies with the objectives for pricing and inventory – not sacrificing one against the other.
· Ensure Operating Units purchasing processes conform to the requirements under AS9100.
· Ensure contractual arrangements are in place, which protect the Operating Units interest and requirements. These should be appropriate to the value, risk and length of programme.
· Ensure that the purchasing strategy is cohesive with the Operating Units objectives and ensure with the team that the plan and its implementation is in manageable steps.
· Ensure that the team has a continual schedule of productivity and pricing achievements to support the businesses focus on growth.
· Supporting operation shortages where and when escalated from the Logistics Team to minimise the onward impact of short-term shortages. Working with the Logistics Team in ensuring correct root cause analysis of these shortages to prevent their reoccurrence.
· Proactively manage the purchasing contribution to the NPI & Innovation processes assuring supplier competencies are considered to maximum effect in new designs.
· Where appropriate engaging and working with the wider organisations European procurement managers.
· Represent purchasing for the business where needed to the customer for audits and visits.
· Where required ensure that compliance to any agreed customer terms and conditions are flowed down to the supply chain.
· Lead and drive continuous improvement activities that must be able to self-fund through the removal of waste.
· The Purchasing Manager must have proven experience with a purchasing or supply chain environment with direct responsibility on a commercial and technical level with line management experience. Preferable in a manufacturing environment
· Strong negotiation skills with suppliers including the setting up of long-term agreements for both simple and complex agreements.
· The ability to bring about operational improvement
· Strong communication skills and abilities at all levels of the business.
· Key analytical skills and Proven Synthesis capabilities
· Capability at defining priorities to help with tracking and reporting
· Degree qualified in an Engineering or Business discipline.
· Able to travel worldwide
· Purchasing experience in an aerospace environment
· Mathematic or scientific(Production engineering) background
· Customer Focus: knows how and understand the needs of internal and external customers. Is result oriented and works hard to consistently provide exceptional service.
· Ethics and Values: adheres to an effective set of core values and beliefs and acts in accordance.
· Integrity and Trust: widely trusted and seen as direct and truthful.
· Values Diversity: supports fair and equal treatment of all
· Problem Solving: Looks beyond the obvious to find effective solutions.
· Functional technical skills: possesses the skills to be effective in the job and has the skills to perform the job at a high level of accomplishment
· Listening: practices active and attentive listening, able to hear others.
· Action orientated: full on energy, willing to take action.
· Composure: cool under pressure, not knocked off balance by the unexpected is a settling influence
Interested in this job? Call us on: 0118 981 1110