Our client based in Aldermaston is looking for a Manual Machinist to join their team. The ideal candidate would be a workshop technician with a machining background who is able to learn new skills to support various aspects of the turbomachinery repair business. Who is able to demonstrate all of the skills outlined below;
Our client would also consider a candidate with some experience, some of the following skills and the desire and ability to develop and learn new skills then they would absolutely like to talk to you about opportunities with them.
· interpret engineering drawings
· Independently operate, to required standards, machine shop equipment including, but not limited to: lathes, horizontal & vertical borers, surface grinders and conventional hand tools.
· tool selection
· be able to set-up machine (with correct tooling), to undertake machining activity to desired quality
· carry out initial dimensional inspection of completed work
· have a good understanding of engineering practices and industry standards
CNC machining skills are not mandatory but the right candidate would be given the opportunity to learn to program and operate our CNC lathe and/or vertical borer.
As a workshop technician, Our client would expect you to:
· Dismantle, inspect, repair and re-assemble compressors, turbines, turbochargers, gearboxes, and other rotating machinery and components.
· Follow HSE policy and rules to maintain the high level of Health and Safety for everyone within the premises.
· Correctly read and interpret engineering drawings.
· Ensure output is in full conformance to requirements of work instructions, procedures, quality standards and specifications. Complete all records as required by the work instructions and procedures.
· Steam clean and/or shot-blast equipment in preparation for commencement of work.
· Undertake general workshop activities and follow Workshop Supervisor instructions with respect to housekeeping, workshop/work area cleaning and disposal of rubbish.
· Perform necessary quality checks including concentricity, alignment, mechanical and electrical run-out.
· Inspect and assemble sub-contract machined components to final specification.
· Ensure proper functioning of all machine tools and assets, carries out necessary maintenance and operates same.
· Undertake suitable training for the safe operation of mobile equipment, including over-head cranes and fork lift trucks.
· To be able to assemble/disassemble turbomachinery rotors and complete machine in line with manufacturer’s instructions.
· Carry out impeller overspeed test.
· Fit blades on turbine rotors.
· Perform low speed balance of rotors using all suitable machines available.
You will need:
· proven experience in a manufacturing/repair environment with – ideally – 3-5 years industry experience
· ideally an engineering qualification or evidence of a previous apprenticeship
· to be able to interpret detailed instructions, engineering drawings and technical reports
· effective communication skills
· to be able to work independently
· the ability to offer innovative solutions to the repair of turbomachinery.
· working in a specialist (non-batch) service business
· learning new skills within a mechanical engineering environment
Interested in this job? Call us on: 0118 981 1110